THE "ME ME" (aka Pacifier) FAIRY CAME!
I don't know if I've really posted about Little Man's obsession with his Nuk pacifier. He was so attached to them that he named them after himself—me-mes—and he would sleep with one in his mouth and one in each hand. I slowly weaned the amount of pacifiers in his crib down to 2 and then to 1. The week before we decided to kibosh the pacifier, I told him that the Me Me Fairy was going to come and take his me-mes to a new baby (in China, because that's far away from NJ) and she would leave him a special present to comfort him. He was excited about the fairy coming but really didn't "get" the reason why. On Saturday night, May 19th, I hid all his pacifiers (haven't tossed them yet) and left a plush Dumbo in his crib.
He saw the Dumbo immediately when he went into his room (before bath time) and got all excited. After the bath, we told him that the Dumbo was from the Me Me Fairy and that he would have no more me-mes. He seemed to understand and actually lied down without much fuss. He tossed and turned a bit, but slept through the night! The next morning, I (or the fairy) gave him a Captain Hook toy as a second gift for making it through the night.
It's been 3 nights and so far, so good. I think I'm very lucky to have an easygoing child (overall, despite the ups and downs he's been more easygoing than not) and I am THRILLED the transition went so smoothly. Hopefully the switch to his Big Boy Bed (which is set up in his room) will go well later this Summer.
Strangely, I'm feeling a bit melancholy about this. I know it's for the best and I forced the change, but the pacifier being gone is yet another step out of babyhood. And with an only child, I tend to notice these things as they will never happen again for me.
OTHER UPDATESApril —
- I had my birthday on Passover and the hubby got me a new lens for my Nikon, which I have yet to use. But I also am untrained in DSLR and need to learn how to use my camera.
- Little Man's BIG BOY BED arrived from Pottery Barn Kids (Catalina Cottage Bed). We put it together but he refused flat out to sleep on it. He wouldn't even sit on the bed at first. So we have a tight fit in his room for a bit and will make the change later.
- Little Man had double ear infections again when we had no health insurance (for just one month). Figures. Dealing with bills due to that.
- May 1st: I get a call from Dude and didn't realize it WAS Dude (weird phone number) that he was going to the hospital and felt weird. Rushed Little Man to Dude's sister's house (where he stayed overnight) and went to the ER. Thought it was a kidney stone but the pain was from pneumonia. Dude stayed home for 5 days to recuperate—he is doing well now, 3 weeks later.
- May 6th: My BFF and I had a lovely afternoon tea to celebrate her birthday.
- Mother's Day: was nice. A breakfast buffet at Maggiano's (which was not as good as I'd hoped, but OK) and then time with my mom. Then naps (for me and Little Man) and burgers.
- The Avengers! We actually saw a movie this past Saturday. It was awesome.
I guess that's it. At least I can't think of anything else right now. I will try to update the blog more frequently. Part of the reason why I hadn't was because our wireless router wasn't working correctly. But I think Dude fixed it (at least for now) and hopefully I'll be more on top of things.