Thursday, November 12, 2009


Instinct tells me that a) Little Man will need surgery on his scrotum for his Hydrocele and b) he'll likely need a DOC Band (helmet) for his positional plagiocephaly.  I don't know why, but that's what my gut is telling me.

If he does need a helmet, I don't think our insurance will cover it.  Though the place I'm taking Little Man for an assessment told me that they DO fight for patients' and often they will cover at least some of the cost. I'm hoping that, since Little Man also has a diagnosis of Torticollis, that UHC will cover something.

If not... well, I'd rather get us further in debt than NOT correct something that is correctable due to my son's young age (13 weeks tomorrow).

So I'm taking him to see a urologist and to Cranial Technologies for a free assessment in early December. He'll be close to 4 months old by then, but I'm told babies under 6 months show the best results. I'd go sooner, but Dude wants to go with me and he won't have a free day before then. But I don't feel that it's too much of a wait.


  1. We have the same problem with the helmet therapy. When I asked about any form of funding for the head, I was told... "the NHS does not fund the use of cranial remoulding orthoses like STARband, as it feels that deformational plagiocephaly is a purely cosmetic issue and that in the majority of cases it will resolve naturally." which naturally I didn't take to kindly too... Fingers crossed that your 'Little Man' is okay!

  2. Hi there! When I wrote this post, my son was almost 3 months old and he is now almost 2. But my instincts WERE right. He ended up need a helmet and he wore two DOC Bands from Cranial Technologies. My insurance didn't pay a penny and I'm STILL paying off his 2nd helmet. But his head is round and there are pics under my brachycephaly tab of his exit photos.

    He actually also ended up needing surgery for his Hydrocele. Another score for mama instinct. It was done last July when he was 11 months old. He recovered well and everything is normal.